The indication “burlesque strip style” was actually written on the music right around 4:00. Both Ramin and Ginzler cut their teeth writing swing arrangements; lead trumpet in the original Gypsy pit was Dick Perry, late of the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra. Solo trumpet Mike Lovatt here lays it down fine. Some people obviously know something about burlycue. Composer Jule Styne was pleased with this overture’s orchestration.
Above the man of my desire: The entire audio recording of The Broadway Sound. Plus at 4:00 of this clip on YT of the Overture John shimmies like a brazen hussy. This is the moment one year ago today when I fell in love with you, my love. That lovely luscious moment when I stumbled onto that clip above of you at the Royal Albert and got your number…
- “The Story So Far, with Conductor John Wilson”
- “The Story So Far; Or, Conductor John Wilson—His Limits”
- Kindle ebook of my Hollywood comedy-mystery COLD OPEN here
- Free pdf of my book JOHN WILSON: AN ENGLISH CONDUCTOR here
- Free pdf of my memoir re the Gyllenhaals A POET FROM HOLLYWOOD here
- Free pdf / epub of my romantic backstage comedy FEET ON THE GROUND here