If you can get over to Belgium, this’ll be almost as good as the Proms. Performing at the 5 year-old, acoustically perfect, 2000-seat Queen Elisabeth Hall in Antwerp, the Antwerp Symphony Orchestra under John’s baton will be offering a Saturday evening filled with old favorites:
- Erich Korngold / The Sea Hawk from the 1940 film [YT Proms video https://bit.ly/jwoseahawk]
- Martin-Blane / The Trolley Song from the 1944 film Meet Me In St Louis [BB Proms video https://bit.ly/trolleysong]
- Romberg-Hammerstein / Softly as in a Morning Sunrise from the 1940 film The New Moon (song)
- Richard Rodgers / Carousel Waltz from the 1956 film
- Bernard Herrmann / Psycho Suite for Strings from the 1959 film [YT Proms video https://bit.ly/psychostrings]
- Jerry Herman / Love is Only Love from Hello, Dolly! from the 1969 film (song)
- John Williams / ET the Extra-Terrestrial Suite from the 1982 film
- Jerome Moross / The Big Country from the 1958 film [YT Proms video https://bit.ly/jwobigcountry]
- Max Steiner / Gone With The Wind Suite from the 1939 film
- Kern-Hammerstein / Can’t Help Lovin’ Dat Man from the 1951 film Showboat (song)
- Gershwin Bros / I Got Rhythm from the 1943 film Girl Crazy (song) [on the JWO album https://bit.ly/jwoigotrhythm]
- Franz Waxman / A Place In The Sun Suite from the 1951 film
- Scott Bradley / Tom and Jerry at MGM from the 1940-1958 cartoons
- Miklós Rózsa / Parade of the Charioteers from the 1959 film Ben Hur [YT Proms video https://bit.ly/rozsabenhur]
Kim Criswell, vocalist
How about making a little party out of it? And if you get there, tell John I said hello.
- “The Story So Far, with Conductor John Wilson”
- “The Story So Far; Or, Conductor John Wilson—His Limits”
- Kindle ebook of my Hollywood comedy-mystery COLD OPEN here.
- Free pdf of my book JOHN WILSON: AN ENGLISH CONDUCTOR here.
- Free pdf of my memoir re the Gyllenhaals A POET FROM HOLLYWOOD here.